Many people think the best time of the year to visit South West Cornwall is over the summer but West Cornwall has a magical atmosphere in the lead up to Christmas and the New Year with many ancient traditions and festivals taking place at this time. At the Woodland Collection, we decorate the holiday cottages with Spruce trees and Holly in early December, so guests can smell the scent of Christmas as soon as they walk in, and relax with mugs of hot chocolate by the fire.
Here are a few reasons why our location between Hayle and St Michaels Mount in South West Cornwall, is a great location for holidays over Christmas and the New Year!
Top Things to Do in Christmas & New Year in Cornwall
- Most of the villages around us including Leedstown and Relubbus have great light displays but nothing can come close to the amazing ‘12 days of Christmas’ free light show throughout the entire village of Angarrack near Hayle from early December to early January. You can drive through the village, but the best way to see the light displays, is to park locally and walk through it, taking your time to explore each ingenious installation.
- The Lantern Light Procession with school children, bands and dancers winds its way through the streets of Truro to herald the start of Late Night Christmas Shopping in the third week of November with amazing Christmas markets, Street food, a fantastic atmosphere in your favourite boutiques. Check out our video on Facebook.
- Have you heard the story of the Mousehole Cat? Mousehole has an enviable Christmas Light display from around 7th December to 5th But on Tom Bawcock’s Eve on 23rd December, there is a special procession through the village to celebrate the safe return of the fisherman and Star Gazey Pie is served in the pubs.
- Santa slide and Ice Skating at the Eden Project in December – zip lining over the biomes dressed as Santa, what could be more fun?! We recommend you book in advance.
- Sennen Christmas Day swim – hundreds of people strip down to their cossies and run into the sea at 10am on Christmas Day! Must be mad but it’s a great atmosphere!
- New Years Eve in St Ives! Everyone, young and old, friends and families, dress up in fancy dress for New Years Eve in St Ives and party in the streets in safety with a free fireworks display on the harbour front at Midnight! Check out our video on the Woodland Collection Holiday Cottages website to get a feel for it. Click here
- St Michaels Mount is lit up at night around Christmas time and the New Year and is a magical sight!
We look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful part of Cornwall for your festive break. Book Now